8 Exercises for Gamers That Improve Wellbeing and Performance
This entry was posted on May 24, 2021.
If you love gaming and want to be at the top of your game, you will have to maintain your general health and well-being.
Long hours of practice and competing can cause injuries like gamer’s thumb, repetitive strain injuries (RSI), and back pain.
By taking a holistic approach, addressing your lifestyle, ergonomics, and posture, you are on your way to pain relief.
On top of these, there are exercises for gamers that you should seriously consider including in your daily routine.
Here are 8 important exercises for gamers to help manage their well being and performance the smart way:
What exercises are good for gamers? Stretching your back is one exercise you should not ignore if you want to avoid back pain at long tournaments and prevent long-term stress on your back.
The back stretching series includes these exercises:
- Lace your fingers, reach overhead, lean to one side reaching up, hold for 10 seconds, 3 times on each side.
- Interlock your fingers, press your arms forward then overhead, hold for 10 seconds, 3 times.
- Reach behind you and interlace your fingers, raise your arms as far as you can, hold for 10 seconds, 3 times.
- Reach your left arm across your chest and hold in place with your right arm, pulling as far as you can, hold for 10 seconds, 3 times each side.
- Bring your knee to your chest, keeping your back straight, hold the stretch for 30 seconds, 2 times on each leg.
- Cross your left leg over your right, rotate your torso, hold for 30 seconds, 2 times each side/leg.
- Stand up and place your palms on your low back, push the chest forward and lean back only as far as you are comfortable, hold for 10 seconds, 3 times.
How do gamers keep fit? One of the best ways you can keep yourself fit as a gamer is to do neck stretches that will help you maintain good posture and prevent your muscles from getting too tight.
Prevent letting your shoulders creep up your ears even if you are engrossed with your game.
Do these exercises to stretch your neck:
- Shrug your shoulders up, hold then push them down, holding each position for 10 seconds, repeat 3 times.
- Tuck your chin, slowly roll your head towards your chest, hold for 10 seconds.
- Slowly roll your head or neck in circles, holding a stretch wherever you feel tightness for 10 seconds.
- Roll your shoulders back then forward 10 times slowly in each direction.
- Place your hands behind your head, pull your elbows back and pinch your shoulder blades together, hold for 10 seconds, repeat 3 times.
How do I train my hands for gaming? This is a common question asked by gamers because gaming puts a lot of stress on your hand and wrist muscles that can result in pain and cramps over time.
Here are seven comprehensive hand exercises to reduce hand and wrist injuries during gaming:
- Prayer position stretch
- Supine flexors stretch
- Reverse prayer position stretch
- Pronated extensors stretch
- Thumb abductor stretch
- Thumb extensor stretch
- Joint distraction for wrists, fingers, and thumbs
Do this posture exercise by arching your lower back down and extending your head/neck, then slowly rolling your head down as you roll your lower or mid backup.
Hold each position for 5 seconds.
This is a famous yoga stretch that can help relax your lower back. From the cat-camel position, slowly sink your bottom back towards your heels while extending your arms and shoulders.
Another lower back exercise that you can do by crossing your ankle over the opposite knee and then pushing the crossed leg away while pulling the supporting leg towards your chest.
Seated Good Morning
Using a TheraBand Resistance Band, this postural correction exercise can strengthen your mid and lower back muscles. Simply sit up straight at the end of your chair holding the TheraBand in each hand and putting your hands above your head, then bending forward as far as you can while maintaining your posture.
TheraBand FlexBar Thumb Abduction Exercise
Another way you can exercise your thumb is by using the TheraBand FlexBar.
By slowly pushing your thumb toward your fingers, you can loosen tight muscles in your thumb.
As a gamer, you can constantly be better by incorporating these exercises for gamers in your daily routine with gaming.
The exercises will strengthen the most stressed parts of your body during gaming and will improve your stamina and strength when playing.
More from Fitness Expo
Fitness Expo caters to all your exercise needs from treadmills to fitness accessories.
First opened in 1980 by the Rice family, the store continues to offer the top brands and largest selection of exercise equipment for the home or commercial facility making us one of the oldest and most reputable fitness retailers in the country.
We have showrooms across Louisiana and Mississippi, but you can also shop on our website from the comfort of your own home.