Best Workouts for Keto Diet
This entry was posted on October 20, 2018.
After the convenience-era inspired by television dinners and cheap fast food, people are beginning to see the toll that an unhealthy lifestyle can cause to the human body. As nutrition science comes to the forefront, a rediscovered diet is gaining traction.
The Keto diet utilizes healthy fats and protein with carbs being mostly outlawed and restricted. Since carbs are the primary fuel source your body readily taps into for exercise, learning how to effectively exercise when your body is in ketosis, or when ketone levels are raised and present in your body may take some practice and adjustments.
This guide will help you combine the Keto diet with the right Metairie exercise equipment and planning to fast-track your way to a healthier, fitter and leaner life!
The Truth Behind Weight Loss & Ketosis
While it is important to stay active, the majority of weight loss and a healthy lifestyle comes from what we put into our bodies. Consistent healthy food choices have an astounding impact on physical health. A proper state of ketosis achieves this, and then we can add on exercise for heart health, bone strength, and muscle tone.
Types of Workouts
There are four main types of workouts that most people engage in:
- Aerobic exercise: This type of exercise is what is known as cardio exercise. This lasts more than three minutes and is low-intensity. It helps burn fat and is a keto-friendly exercise option.
- Anaerobic exercise: This exercise type is high-intensity. It occurs in short bursts and is usually fueled by carbohydrates, making it a least recommended type of exercise for those on the keto diet.
- Flexibility exercise: Yoga and other stretch-based exercises fall in this category. Range of motion and flexibility are improved, minimizing the risk of injury.
- Stability exercise: Core training and balance exercises fall under this type of exercise. Muscle strength and alignment can be achieved here, as well as control of movement.
For each type of workout, it is important to have the correct Metairie health fitness equipment.
Adjusting for High-Intensity Workouts
While high-intensity workouts are least recommended while in a state of ketosis, there are ways to use high-intensity workouts while on a Keto diet. 30 minutes before and after a high-intensity workout, consume 15 to 30 grams of a fast-acting carbohydrate. One of the best choices would be fruit.
By sticking to this requirement, you get to remain in a state of ketosis by using all the carbohydrates during the workout and recovery process.
And if you’re in the market for high-quality Metairie health fitness equipment at prices that won’t break the bank, check out the Inspire Fitness M2 Multi Gym for a full body workout session you won’t regret.
The Effect of the Keto Diet on Exercise
Due to the lack of carbohydrates, the body fuels exercise with fat during ketosis. This results in more efficient fat burning during exercise. In fact, the fat burn can increase to two to three times the normal rate! It also helps maintain blood glucose levels and reduces fatigue.
Important Tips to Remember
When you prepare to exercise while on the Keto diet, there are a few important things to consider.
- Do not change your exercise during the first few weeks. Your body needs time to adjust to the Keto diet, and your brain may feel foggy during the first few workouts as it is.
- Make sure you are eating enough. It is tempting to under eating while on the Keto diet. Keep in mind, your body needs appropriate energy levels for exercise.
- Listen to your body. If you feel dizzy, take a break. Again, your body is adjusting to this new energy source, and it may take time to achieve normal workout levels.
- High-intensity workouts require small carbohydrate intake. Your body is used to fueling workouts through sugar, not fat.
- Take advantage of proteins, such as eggs, meat, fish, and high-fat dairy. Gluconeogenesis will use excess protein to provide your muscles with glucose.
Investing in the Proper Exercise Equipment
There are many types of Metairie exercise equipment that can help you with your ketosis-fueled exercise. One great option is to use an elliptical machine. This machine, such as the Octane XE4700 Smart Elliptical, can help you achieve a low-intensity workout with a wide range of motion.
Another wonderful piece of equipment for those on the Keto diet is the Spri Airex Mats. This mat provides an easy grip and is easily cleaned afterward. Yoga and other flexibility exercises are perfect on mats such as these.
Aim for Moderate Intensity
When using your Metairie health fitness equipment, try to keep your heart rate at 50 to 75 percent of your maximum heart rate. This will help you get the optimum benefit from your Keto workout.
Supplement Your Workouts
There are a few popular supplements for those on the Keto diet that may optimize workouts. These include:
- Medium Chain Triglycerides: This saturated fat is converted into ketones by your liver.
- Creatine: Your body’s phosphagen system is enhanced by this supplement, with creatine providing the energy needed for short energy bursts when your body is depleted of carbs and sugars from keto.
- Caffeine and Taurine: Both of these substances can be used to stimulate the body during a workout, providing energy and focus to get the job done.
- L-Citrulline: This supplement promotes cardiovascular health, endurance, and aerobic work capacity, making it a great addition when fatigued from keto
Your body can use these and other supplements to stay healthy.
The Best Workouts are Ketosis Workouts
As you can see from this guide, being in a state of ketosis actually makes workouts more efficient. The body turns to burn fat instead of sugar, giving you the advantage during exercise. Remember to start at slow and to observe the strict carbohydrate rules if you decide to engage in high-intensity workouts. Keto is a great choice for a healthy lifestyle.
Need more advice, ready to upgrade your home or commercial health and fitness equipment in Metairie? Give the pros at Fitness Expo Stores a call today. We’d love to see how we can help.