What are the Effects of Home Gym Exercises in the Brain?
This entry was posted on June 3, 2020.
What makes you hit the treadmill? What drives you to lift those weights again and again? What motivates you to never stop exercising even when a gym or a swimming pool or a race track is not just accessible to you at the moment?
Let us focus on Number One in his list, which is PHYSICAL EXERCISE.
For this particular point in time, it is HOME EXERCISE.
Since we are confined in our homes and most probably will be until there is a potent vaccine for COVID-19, we will rely on our own guts for home exercises we can do every day to keep our brains healthy and sharp.
Our current situation has stress and anxiety as its constant companion.
Wistful stress and anxiety can be pretty hard on the brain. How can exercising keep our brains healthy and sharp, really?
Exercise Will Change Your Brain
Physical exercise changes the brain in more ways than one, such as:
- Promoting cardiovascular health.
- Improving blood flow to the brain.
- Reducing inflammation.
- Lowering levels of stress hormones
All of these factors can adversely affect cognition, Dr. Bonner-Jackson explains
These profound positive changes in the brain brought about by exercise is what everyone should be pursuing. So what should you do? Start exercising!
There is no single exercise remedy for everyone but just get your heart pumped!
Dr. Scott McGinnis, a neurologist, and instructor at Harvard Medical School said that engaging in a program of regular exercise of moderate intensity over six months or a year is associated with an increase in the volume of selected brain regions.
These regions are the prefrontal cortex and medial temporal cortex, which are the parts of the brain that control thinking and memory.
Exercise definitely equates to neural growth and new neural connections, which leads to memory boost, increased concentration, and improved mental health.
Start (or continue) Exercising!
Still at a loss how or where to begin? Here are tips from BrainHQ in choosing the right physical exercise you can do at home:
- Anything that is good for your heart is great for your brain. Choose cardio exercises or exercises that make your heart pump faster and make you sweat. These kinds of exercises boost the size of the hippocampus in the brain, which is responsible for verbal memory and learning.
- Aerobic exercise is great for the body and brain: it improves brain function and acts as a “first-aid kit” on damaged brain cells.
- Exercising in the morning spikes brain activity prepares you for mental stresses, produces increased retention of new information, and better reaction to complex situations.
- Look for an activity that incorporates coordination along with cardiovascular exercise like dancing.
- Opt for circuit work-outs using a treadmill, elliptical machine, hand weights, resistance bands, and a medicine ball.
- Reboot with a few jumping jacks for brain improvement exercises.
Create Your Own Gym at Home
Who says you cannot enjoy the benefits of going to the gym inside your own home? Doubtless, you can create your own gym and enjoy the benefits of home gym exercises. Working out more often without the need of spending for a gym membership or pricey fitness classes is certainly possible.
For example, if you cannot go about for walks or runs in the neighborhood, you can use a treadmill, a home gym machine for walking or running, while staying in the same place.
Even without the trees and the road, you will still be able to release acetylcholine and dopamine, both of which are important for maintaining brain health.
There are several types of gym equipment that you can use at home.
Get Moving with Home Exercises
Let us move on, seriously, with a sharper memory, a healthier brain, and a happier mood. Reaping the benefits of home exercise is easier than most of us think.
Even just a few minutes of sweating it out every single day can work just as well. Starting with a 15-minute or 30-minute home exercise is better than not starting at all.
Visit Fitness Expo Stores for more healthy tips!