How to Lose Weight on a Treadmill: Simple Tips to Follow
This entry was posted on September 26, 2020.
Aerobic exercise is arguably the most popular form of exercise out there.
A probable reason for this is because aerobic exercise, mostly known as cardio, is one of the most effective ways in order to lose weight.
This explains why most people workout. Other than being healthy and fit, a lot of fitness enthusiasts exercise because they want to either lose weight or maintain their current weight.
But for the busy person who doesn’t have all the time to swim in a pool or a health conscious individual who is afraid of catching the coronavirus, how then can they lose weight?
Well, you don’t really have to think so hard because for a very long time now, the treadmill is your best cardio lifesaver.
What are the Common Types of Treadmill?
Walking, jogging, running, climbing – name it, all these cardio exercises can be done while you still remain on the same spot.
These are the wonders that a treadmill can do.
Basically, you don’t have to jog outside or find a mountain to hike if you really don’t have all the time in the world to spare.
All you have to do is turn the treadmill machine on and start working out.
The concept of treadmill didn’t really start as a machine for exercise. It was originally used as a means to harness the power.
But years and decades forward,, it was then developed as a cardio tool or device.
And now, there are many kinds of treadmills you can see in the market.
- Manual Treadmills – The manual treadmill is probably the first kind of treadmill that was invented since it has also the most basic functional design. This machine solely depends on your movement for its belt to run since it is not operated with electricity.
- Powered or Electric Treadmill – As opposed to the manual treadmill, a motorized treadmill runs through electricity. Basically, you just need to turn the machine on and the belt starts moving. This is the type of treadmill that is fit for commercial and personal use.
- Hybrid Treadmills – The hybrid treadmill is an advanced version of a treadmill and is customized for different purposes or uses. This can both work as a typical treadmill and elliptical.
Basic Tips for Working Out on a Treadmill
For a more efficient cardio workout using your treadmill, here are some tips you can use.
1. Wear proper clothes and gears as much as possible.
The first thing you need to do is to wear appropriate clothes. Not fancy, not expensive, but appropriate. You will sweat a lot so a sweat-wicking shirt will work best. You can pair this up with a pair of shorts and good running shoes.
2. Warmup and stretch first.
In any form of exercise routine, starting it with some stretching is always advised. Other than allowing your muscles to loosen up, stretching can help you be in the zone. Think of it like music that can set your mood. Skipping this tip or step may or may not negatively affect your cardio set. Your muscles and joints might be impacted by the immediate use of the treadmill.
3. Know your routine and test it out briefly.
Before going into the actual hard and long routine, try testing it for a few minutes first. This is an extension of your stretching to warm you up even more. You can do this by slowly walking on the treadmill for at least three minutes. This can help you determine your endurance for the whole cardio set you are going to do.
4. Take short breaks from your treadmill workout if necessary.
Once you go to the actual treadmill exercise, it is only natural to have some breaks. Besides, like regular running and hiking, you need to catch your breath. It is good to exceed your limit sometimes but this can be dangerous as well. So you have to assess your own endurance before taking it up a notch. If not, you can always rest for a bit to recharge your energy.
5. Don’t be afraid to mix it up.
To get the best results such as weight loss, you can mix up the exercise you want. Most commercial treadmills can be inclined so you can also mimic hiking exercises. So you can start walking, jogging, running, and hiking. Apart from this, you can also do more exercises like strength training. If you think you can handle lifting some dumbbells while running on a treadmill, you may opt for it.