Strength Training Exercises for Beginners
This entry was posted on October 13, 2018.
You don’t have to be a bodybuilder or professional athlete to reap the rewards of a well-planned strength training regimen designed by professionals such as fitness consultants.
In fact, there are a whole host of benefits Jackson, MS residents can reap from strength training.
Benefits of Strength Training
No matter what stage of the fitness journey you’re at, developing your muscles and strength is a critical component to continued growth, improvement, and progression.
Strength Training Can Help you:
- Melt the pounds – muscle cells are metabolically more active than adipose tissue (fat), meaning the more muscle mass you have the more calories you’ll burn, both in and out of the gym
- Prevent Injuries – stable and strong musculature stabilizes your body throughout movements and contributes to strengthening your bones and connective tissues (like tendons and ligaments).
- Overall Health and Longevity – Numerous studies have demonstrated that resistance training can improve cardiovascular health, reduce cholesterol, lower blood pressure, improve sleep and more.
- Feel Better – studies have demonstrated that resistance training has the ability to release “feel good” endorphins that lower depression and reduce anxiety.
- Boost Confidence – a stronger, more resilient you is a more confident version of yourself.
Now that we know the benefits, getting into strength training seems like a “no-brainer”. But where is the best place to start for a beginner?
Read on to learn more…
Fitness Consultants – your guide to getting it done right
Fitness consultants are a great resource for those just getting started into strength training. Unlike aerobic training, strength training involves performing robust and sometimes explosive movements under high loads or resistance…a recipe for disaster if you don’t know what you’re doing.
Even small variations in your form can cause excessive wear and strain on your joints and musculature, over time leading to progressive aches, pains, inflammation or worse.
Fitness consultants can help you understand how to implement and maintain proper form throughout your routines and can help you develop a custom-tailored fitness plan to help you build a solid foundation upon which to build on.
From sports fitness equipment to hitting the life fitness equipment and machines, they can help you safely navigate your options while helping you learn how to do it on your own.
The Most Important Elements of Effective Strength Training
No matter if you go the DIY route or enlist a fitness consultant, there are two core elements of your program that will be the driving factors in your progression:
Volume refers to the number of sets and reps performed, multiplied by the resistance level for each of those reps.
- Volume = reps x resistance
Intensity has a much looser definition, and largely refers to the level of exertion needed to perform your routine, set or reps. Ways to vary the level of intensity include:
- Incline or decline the angle of your lifts
- Speed up or slow down your reps
- Vary your range of motion
- And more…
Burn down sets, pyramiding reps, rest-pause, and other methods are all popular ways to drive intensity through the roof and push past plateaus.
Looking for a home fitness gym setup that will have you covered no matter what? Check out the Life Fitness G3 Home Gym with Leg Press
Determining How many Sets/Reps and Resistance to Use
As a beginner one of the most challenging aspects of getting started is knowing at what level to begin. How many reps should you do, how many sets, and at what level of resistance or weight?
First, set a clear and precise goal. The type of goal you have will impact the way in which you’ll carry out your resistance training. For example, the ideal number of reps and sets for bodybuilding and stacking on muscle is VERY different from that needed to amass pure strength or develop muscular endurance.
To Lose Body Fat While Simultaneously Building Muscle
Use enough resistance or weight on your Life Fitness Equipment or other machines or free weights so that you can complete 1-3 sets of 10-12 reps. Rest between 30 seconds to 1 min. between sets and one day between sessions.
To Build Muscle Mass
Use enough resistance that you are only able to complete between 4-8 reps with good form, for three or more sets. Take a rest period of between 1-2 minutes between sets and 2-3 days off between sessions.
Muscular Endurance and General Health
Utilize enough weight so that you are only able to complete between 12-16 reps per set, for between 1-3 sets and with a rest period of only 20-30 seconds between each set.
Looking for the ultimate resistance training setup? Check out the Life Fitness G7 Home Gym with Bench. This machine has all the bells, whistles and stations you need to put your full body strength training program on hyperdrive.
Best Exercises to Get Started With
It’s not fancy, but bodyweight exercises are one of the best ways to build up the initial strength and endurance needed to move on to machines like the range of Life Fitness Equipment and later on, free weights.
Life Fitness Equipment or Free Weights
- Lower Body: lunges, squats, leg press, deadlifts, calf raises
- Biceps: curls, hammer curls, concentration curls
- Shoulders: overhead press, front and lateral raises
- Abdominals: crunches, wood chops, reverse crunches
- Triceps: kickbacks, dips, tricep extensions
- Back: Rows, extensions, lat pulldowns
Need a home gym setup that’s as versatile as you are? Check out the Life Fitness G4 Home Gym with Leg Press. This machine will have you getting in a full body workout in no time.
Resistance and strength training is a great way to boost self-confidence, endurance, strength and look and feel your very best. Getting the advice of a fitness consultant can help jumpstart your journey, and if you’re in the market for sports fitness equipment in Jackson, MS, give Fitness Expo Stores a call at 601-714-8035.