The Best Dumbbells To Use At Home, According To A Trainer
This entry was posted on November 3, 2020.
Men and women who love to workout but live hectic lives will find alternatives to going to the gym when they can’t. If you’re one of them, you should consider working out at home.
However, setting up a home gym entails a lot of work.
We have to choose the right gym equipment that fits our workout needs and consider the free space we have at home.
Most of the time, the home gym investment starts with small pieces of equipment, accessories, or fitness gear.
And one of the most common gym equipment many active men and women begin with is a set of top dumbbells to use at home.
As a newbie to weightlifting, it is best to start with lighter dumbbells.
The best commercial dumbbells that are lightweight are easy to manage and will not likely cause any severe injury.
Some essential considerations when choosing dumbbells for beginners are:
- Shape: dumbbells are shaped either hexagonal or rounded. The hexagonal has its advantage. It doesn’t roll away when you put it down, unlike the rounded type of dumbbells. The hexagonal dumbbells are also perfect for press-up variations.
- Weight: fixed dumbbells have non-adjustable weights. Hence, a light dumbbell will work best for beginners. The recommended weight of the dumbbells can range from 5 to 10 pounds (4.54 kg).
- Material: dumbbell materials vary. Some heavyweight dumbbells sets are flat black weight discs that look masculine but can do some severe damage on wooden floors. Others are rubber coated, which is why they are less noisy and messy.
Check out the Troy Barbell USA 6 Sided Rubber Hex Dumbbells
How Heavy Should My Dumbbells Be?
Determining the dumbbell weight for beginners will depend on several factors such as age, body size, gender, and strength.
According to Ben Booker, founder of Second Chance Lifestyle, and DailyBurn trainer, the general rule is to work with a lighter set and a heavier set during a workout.
The heavy dumbbells will help build muscle mass, while the light dumbbells will stabilize the muscles supporting tendons and joints.
For women, beginners will usually start with a set of 2 x 5-pound weights or 2 x 10-pound weights.
Related: Strength Training for Women
On the other hand, men will begin with a set of 2 x 10-pound weights or 2 x 20-pound weights.
What Are The Best Weights To Have at Home?
Jericho McMatthews, a personal trainer and creator of Morning Meltdown 100, recommends buying a set of heavy, medium, and light weights for your home gym.
Some recommended dumbbells are:
- Fixed rubber-coated: they are known as the most versatile dumbbells. They are available from 3 pounds (1.36 kg) up to 25 pounds (ca. 11 kg) (sold in pairs), and from 30 pounds (13.61 kg) to 50 pounds (22.68 kg) (sold as singles).
- p.volve Hand Weights: this 2-pound weight set is known as the best lightweight dumbbell. Perfect for building muscle strength.
- HexElite Rubber-Coated Dumbbells: these dumbbells are rubber-encased hexagonal shaped, and sold as singles. They are great for upper body workouts.
- Adjustable dumbbells for low to high impact workouts.
Why Are Dumbbells So Expensive?
Dumbbells are not cheap because:
- They are manufactured overseas, making shipping charges high because of their weight.
- They are very durable. Their build quality must be top-notch, and that commands a higher price.
- They have iron in its composition, which is more expensive than the other materials used in other products.
If the dumbbells cost breaks your bank, there are dumbbell alternatives that are objects or things that we see or use at home.
What Can I Use For Dumbbells At Home?
Given the high price of dumbbells, there are numerous items at home that can mimic the functions of the best commercial dumbbells in the market.
- A gallon of water or milk. These are perfect because they have handles that are easy to grip, swing, or curl.
- A bottle of laundry detergent. This is ideal for use in some curls, squats, squat thrusters.
- A book-filled backpack. Fill the bag with books and use the backpack for push-ups, squats, and lunges.
- Pet food bag. Use the 40-pound dog food pack that weighs about 40 pounds.
Dumbbells: Essential Part of a Home Workout Routine
A home workout routine is not complete without a set of the best dumbbells brands: Helix, Precor, Lamonde…the whole nine yards.
Beginners use these weights when they do joint-isolation exercises, including chest flyes, shoulder raises, or bicep curls. Others use them for multi planar and full-body movements.
Having a good set of dumbbells is critical to muscle-building, sweat-inducing, or fat-shredding workout.
Hence, when choosing our home gym, we must listen to what a professional fitness trainer recommends.
To know more about dumbbells, visit Fitness Expo.
More from Fitness Expo
Benefits of Working-Out with Dumbbells
7 Ultimate Exercises and Stretches For Lower Back Pain Relief